Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Novel Journal Entry

'I told him I was studying hard because I wanted to become either a veterinarian or a geologist specializing in the Miocene period, when the mountains out west were formed. I was telling him how geodes were created from bubbles in lave when he interrupted me. "For the daughter of the town drunk, you sure got big plans," he said.
"Stop the truck," I said. "We can make it on our own from here."
For some reason, this quote in the book really struck me. Jeanette is a young twelve year old with big hopes and dreams to help get her family out of the same harsh cycle. In this quote, she obviously does realize that her fathers a drunk, but won't stick up for him or just agree with it. Jeanette is much more aware of her dads situation because she is much closer with her dad then any of the other kids in the family. It seems to me that Jeanette wants to believe in her dad and know he'll get better, but she still knows that it obviously won't happen. She tries to just cover it up and pretend like its nothing, but in reality, she is quite aware of what is happening, but just won't admit it.

2 comments:

  1. I like the quotes you chose because they do struck you when you read them. Jeanette seemed to believe in her dad more than anyone else, even though he wasn't the best dad in the world and he didn't set any good examples of his family, but he tried his best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this qoute too and your reason for picking this quote, in my opinion, is exactly right. It showed that Jeannette was a lot stronger than we thought in the beginning. This entry shows that you really grasped the struggle that Jeannette must go through and I think you interpreted the book very well. I would've liked to see a bit more of an explanation though, but very well written.

    ReplyDelete